Saturday, June 2, 2012

I kill myself. I do this throughout the afternoon. Into the evening. Into the night. Into the early hours of the morning.

I kill myself.

Not deliberately. Not so. It just happens. Just as the rain falls atop my gray, worn hat as I stand, soaked, before Her Chevy Blazer. As Her ignition runs and She sits sobbing, pounding on the steering wheel, telling me how She can't leave because She's too worried about me. Too concerned for my well-being.

Goddamn.

Funny how, minutes before, She pushed past me when I tried to dissuade Her from leaving my room. Tried to convince Her to stay. Tried to make things better.

Oh well, okay.

So after standing there. Glancing up at the sky as it pours down on me. Rains down on me. Pounds me down.

She coaxes me into returning indoors. She persuades me to do so.

But it's all a trap. I realize this far too late. When I'm in my room with my housemates eagerly staring at me for some rationale. For some composition.

But I can't give it to them. I can't give them anything.

So I leave. I venture out into the storm. Into the treachery of the night. I go out. I welcome it.

What awful ideas. What horrid notions. What foolish ideologies.

Let's hope I forget these moments. Let's hope I forget me.

Let us hope.

2 comments:

  1. Brother, I too was where you are- and it wasn't all that long ago. For me it took pulling myself by the boot laces and making the conscious decision to do whatever it took to be happy. Now I'm broke, in love, but no longer a raging alcoholic nor depressed! From your stories you've got a wonderful woman who'll see you through good and bad- that's a major help. Have you considered volunteer work? Seeing people worse off than you (and trying to help them) could be the emotional trigger you need to get back on that horse!
    -
    I'd also remind you that we're young men. We've lived 1/4 of our projected life span and there still 3/4 left to change who we're going to be and how our stories will be told to the generations after us. Whatever happens today will likely mean nothing to us 20 years from now. If I can help in any way, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't thank you enough for your words. I am still fighting. The war wages on.

      Delete