Sunday, May 20, 2012

    A loved one gives me a hug when I walk through the door.

    I’ve missed you, she says.  There’s coffee in the kitchen.

    I make my way there and sit down at the table, in front of a small bowl of fruit she’s prepared for me.  Pineapple, blackberries, strawberries.  It’s quite endearing, actually.

    Cream? she asks.  The coffee is a bit strong.

    I nod my head and she pours some in.

    How was your weekend? she asks.

    It was ok, I say.

    Ups and downs? she asks.

    I nod my head.  I sip on the coffee.  Take a bite of a strawberry.

    It’s gorgeous outside and the wind pushes at the lush branches of trees in the yard.  I stare at it all.  The red curtain gets pulled against the screen of the window every moment or so.  There’s cat hair clinging to it that floats off in thin strands.

    Where did you go Friday night? she asks.

    I gesture with my forefinger and middle finger, moving them back and forth.  Walking, I say.

    When they went to pick you up you weren’t there, she says.

    I nod my head, once again.  I know, I know.

    Where are you now? she asks.

    Still so lost, I say.  Still so lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment