Wednesday, May 2, 2012

    Ok, so, I’m standing there.  I’m in my room and I’m standing there, and then suddenly, I’m not.  

    I’m on the carpet.  My face is level with the floor and I can see the clumps of lint and strings from clothes worn throughout the time I haven’t vacuumed.  And it’s been sometime since I’ve vacuumed.  There are numerous pebbles and dirt tracked in from shoes.  Dried petals from the sunflower that was once yellow and radiant, but is now brown and crumpled.   Even a few ants that trekked into my room and died.
   
    Died on this carpet I lay on.

    The cats soon wander in.  They’re curious.  They sniff at me and settle down on either side of my lifeless body.

    One of my housemates follows suit.  He doesn’t say much.  I’m not sure what he says.  Something like, taking a rest?  Yes, something like that.  He grabs the guitar that has been leaning against my wall, untouched for months, and takes place next to one of the cats.  He plays some tunes and then says how he’s going to fall asleep right there on the floor.

    The idea impresses itself upon me and I’m out.  Gone from this world for who-knows-how-long.  I wake and the cats are still there but my friend has disappeared.

    I look up at the window, at the bluish-grey streaks the clouds are forming across the sky.  I listen to the cars on the highway and the ice cream truck that’s circling the block.  A breeze pushes in at the blinds and they bang against the frame of the window every so often.  

    I lay like that for a while.

    Nothing else happens.  And it feels so awful for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment