Monday, May 14, 2012

We’re walking along the Inner Harbor.

    Hand in hand.

    There are people in line for the boat tours.  And people in line for the restaurants.

    There are people sitting on ledges, and people performing music, and people just being people.

    We pass them.  We walk on.

    Hand in hand.

    Then my Mother calls.  My Mother calls on Mother’s Day.

    The Girl demands I answer it.  Speak with her.

    And I comply.

    I comply as we walk hand in hand.

    My Mother asks how I am and I tell her.

    She asks what I’m doing and I tell her.

    She asks who I’m with and I lie to her.

I lie to her and suddenly, we’re not hand in hand.

    Suddenly I’m walking alone.

    Suddenly, I’m off the phone with an empty palm along the Inner Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment